Having a smart plan for production in the COVID era starts with writing and development. You can reduce many risk factors simply by being mindful of what will be required to actually shoot the words on the page. Performing script breakdowns to identify potential safety concerns will be an essential part of this process.
Starting with the first draft of the script, answer the following for each scene:
- Is the location interior or exterior?
- Is the location public or private?
- Is the location a large/open space or a tight/closed space?
- If you already have a location in mind, will you be able to completely lock it down with a closed set and closed base camp?
- How many characters/extras are in the scene?
- Are any characters in close physical proximity?
- Do any actions require shouting, coughing, or physical exertion?
- Will the scene require extensive art department work?
- Will the scene require extensive grip/gaff work?
- Will the scene require extensive coverage/set-ups?