The purpose of Production Prep is twofold: 1) to ensure a clear, singular Vision for the film is shared by all departments, and 2) to ensure a cohesive, executable Plan to achieve that vision.
The Director, DP, Production Designer, and Producer must present at Production Prep. The 1st AD is also required to attend and take notes on all faculty concerns and questions. Expect Production Prep to be 2.5 hours.
Join the slack channel #sp19-mth-prodprep to submit a PDF of the latest draft of your script, then click the channel name to leave the channel. Submit a dated draft (preferably lined) with scene numbers, and including revision mode (*) changes since Concept Prep, due NO LATER THAN 48 hours before the meeting. (Ex. 1pm Wed mtg due by 1pm Mon.)
Section I – Present the Vision
15 MINUTES: All Departments present One Vision (WHAT we hope to achieve)
A single visual presentation to show us what we hope to make. Each dept submits visuals to the producer who runs slideshow and intros each dept in turn for a total of no more than 10 minutes.
- Producer (1 min) – introduces title, logline, tone, genre, and ATL members
- Director (5 min) – show film references, tone references, music, inspirations
- Production Designer (2 min) – show visual references, concept ideas, colors
- Cinematographer (2 min) – show visual references, looks, clips
Faculty Q&A (5 min) Faculty asks initial questions of all departments related to the overall vision.
Section II – Present the Plan
1 HOUR: Each Department presents The Plan (HOW we hope to achieve)
Demonstrate achievement of the vision using visuals. By department show the faculty how we will execute. Anticipate potential questions by coordinating beforehand. Get specific, practical, and real-world.
- Director (10 min) – show edited weekend exercise, auditions, etc.
- Production Designer (10 min) – show locked location photos, props, wardrobe, etc.
- Cinematographer (10 min) – show edited Cine exercise, lighting plan, etc.
- Producer (10 min) – show total number of setups, average setups per day, shooting schedule, etc.
- Producer (5 min) – bullet point the challenges reported by each department related to the plan
Faculty Q&A (15 min) Faculty asks questions of all departments related to the plan decisions. Be honest about problems so that faculty can offer practical solutions that can help achieve the Vision within scope, budget, schedule, and resources. The 1st AD takes notes for the Action Plan.
Section III – Present Storyboards
1 HOUR: Director presents Storyboards (HOW we hope to achieve)
Show the faculty frame-by-frame how you plan to execute the vision. Stop after each scene for questions. NOTE: Unless boards can be drawn at a professional level, for clarity they must be photoboards.
Section IV – The Action Plan
15 MINUTES: Discuss Action Plan to achieve vision and adjust plan for challenges
The 1st AD will review briefly, by department, any remaining challenges related to the plan for achieving the vision, as well as who will tackle them. (e.g. PD location issues, DP weather issues, Director cast challenges, Producer schedule challenges.) This is the Action Plan.
After the Meeting
Before day’s end, the 1st AD posts the Action Plan to the Production Prep slack channel.