BFA AND MFA THESIS FILMS
BFA and MFA thesis films may request permission to shoot at a distant location outside of the studio zone. Please note however that — due to the added complexity of shooting films at distant locations, the added wear-and-tear on school equipment, and the added stress placed on the crew — shooting at a distant location is not approved automatically. It’s a privilege that needs to be earned.
The Producer will need to present a thorough plan to the Head of Production (Tony) that addresses the following:
- A description of the distant location.
- Why this location is essential to the success of the film.
- The schedule of travel days and drive times during the production week.
- A budget/plan for transporting, housing, and feeding the cast and crew for the duration of the distant shoot.
- A budget/plan for transporting, housing, and feeding a faculty member for the duration of the distant shoot.
- A plan for transporting, parking, and securing school vehicles and equipment during the distant shoot.
- A back-up plan if the camera or other essential equipment goes down.
- A schedule showing key deadlines for locking locations, securing accommodations, and any other critical plans. Permission for shooting at a distant location will be revoked if these deadlines are not hit, and the production will need to shoot locally.
- A local back-up plan, in case permission is not granted and/or the distant location falls through.
The request to shoot at a distant location should be made to the Head of Production as early as possible in the development/pre-production process, and no later than two weeks before the first day of production on the show. The Head of Production’s decision on whether to approve or deny a distant location request is final.