Production Vehicles

Each level of project will have particular parameters that govern how the project may be executed, including the size and nature of the equipment package. Some equipment packages are only to be moved in or with grip trucks, generator trucks, or specialized trailers owned or rented by the College. All such vehicles are herein referred to as production vehicles.

These vehicles are not a requirement for production but a privilege. Productions that shoot on location must have authorized, approved drivers who have been hired for the purpose of driving the production vehicles for the duration of that production. The drivers must be capable of driving the vehicles, and assume all liability for driving the vehicles.

Drivers must be enrolled students in the College of Motion Picture Arts and must be an assigned member of the camera, sound, grip or electric department on that production. Drivers for a location shoot may not be from any other department, and may not be the director, producer, production designer or director of photography.

All students must qualify to drive the grip trucks, even though they may not ever be assigned to drive a truck. If a student refuses or fails to qualify to drive by not meeting all the requirements listed below, the student will forfeit the opportunity for a location shoot on the next project where they act as director.

Truck-Driving Qualifications

Below is a list of the requirements that must be met in order to qualify to drive the grip trucks. These requirements will be addressed during the Driver Training Course administered by ER personnel. Meeting all of these requirements is considered completion of the Driver Training Course.

  1. Completion of a written test administered by College ER personnel. The study guide is available from the ER and a copy is on the server.
  2. Completion of a physical driving test administered by College ER personnel.
  3. Valid Florida Driver’s License.
  4. When necessary, agree to a Department of Transportation driving background check.
  5. Sign a waiver of liability with the College of Motion Picture Arts.
  6. Provide a copy on file of Social Security card and Drivers License.
  7. Completion of the online application & wizard forms to become an OPS employee.
  8. Hired as an employee of Florida State University for the purpose of driving the trucks.
  9. All trucks driven must have a driver and passenger at all times. The producers of the shows may designate the passengers with ER personnel having final approval. Passengers do not have to be employed by Florida State University. Passengers will act to support the driver by getting out of the truck and guiding the driver whenever backing up or maneuvering into a small space.

Only students currently on the College payroll are allowed to drive. If you were not specifically told that you were hired to drive on a given show then you cannot drive the trucks on that show. The ER will assign drivers for each show, and only the designated driver may drive the truck at that time.

Please note that the College has the right to deny truck usage to any student for any reason.

Truck-Driving Insurance

The State of Florida vehicle liability insurance is in effect solely during the period of time that you are acting as an employee of the College. You are an employee only while driving the vehicle to or from a film set for which you are the assigned driver. Your status as an employee begins the moment you enter the cab of the truck, and ends the moment you leave the truck. Driving the truck as an employee of the College is completely different and separate from working on the film set as a student. Insurance coverage ceases once you have delivered the vehicle to set.

As an employee of the State of Florida, insurance covers the following:

  1. If you are in an accident the insurance covers physical damage to the other vehicles involved
  2. Bodily injury to the driver and passenger of the other vehicles involved
  3. Personal injury to the driver of the College vehicle

Insurance does not cover the following:

  1. Personal injury to the driver before or after the assigned driving duties
  2. Damage to College property, vehicles or equipment

Any student authorized and assigned to drive production vehicles must assume all liability with regard to the condition of the vehicle. All assigned drivers must attend equipment check-out and check-in to visually inspect the vehicle and sign the vehicle out/in. Any production without authorized drivers who are willing to assume responsibility for driving a production vehicle must shoot in the College studio.

Damage caused by an accident is the sole responsibility and sole liability of the student assigned to drive the vehicle at the time of the accident, regardless of actual or perceived fault.

Production Vehicles and Studio Shoots

Productions that choose to conduct studio shoots may work from the production vehicles in their assigned parking spaces, and are not required to provide drivers or assume any liability associated with driving the production vehicles.

Additional Information

The following additional information is included for your reference as/when you are assigned to drive one of the College vehicles.

  1. Proof of registration and liability insurance coverage is located in the glove compartment, and must be displayed upon request to appropriate law enforcement officers.
  2. Grip/camera trucks may not drive on roads prohibiting trucks, and must stop at all highway inspection/weigh stations.
  3. Paints, solvents and gasoline are flammable materials, and warrant the usage of the appropriate “hazardous materials” indicator signs located on the outside of the box of the truck. Failure to display the appropriate sign, or to display the wrong sign, can result in serious fines. Any fines that result are the sole responsibility of the assigned driver.
  4. A working fire extinguisher can be found in the cab of the truck. A second fire extinguisher must be carried in the box of the truck only if flammable materials are being transported.